MadTree Brewing Happy Amber Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
Recipe by Chelle Magin
16 oz Dry Elbow Macaroni
8 oz Block Sharp Cheddar Block
5 oz Block Oaxaca Cheese Block
12 oz Evaporated Milk
1 cup Half & Half
4 TB Butter Cubed
12 oz MadTree Happy Amber Beer
Salt to Taste
- Shred cheeses.
- Add the following to the slow cooker: Dry macaroni, evaporated milk, butter, ¾ of the cheddar and 2/3 of the oxaca cheese, ¾ cup of the half and half, and 2/3 of the can of Happy Amber. Add salt to taste and give the mixture a good stir.
- Press the macaroni into the milk mixture as best you can.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring every half hour or so. Start testing noodles for doneness after about an hour and a half. Every crockpot cooks a little differently. If you cook the noodles too long, they could get too mushy!
- Once the noodles are done, add remaining cheese, half & half, and beer, and stir well.
- Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- You may not need to add remaining cheese and liquids, it will be a creamier mixture if you do. Let’s be honest, some of you are going to drink the remaining Happy Amber before the cooking is done, and that is okay.
- Do not use the pre-shredded cheeses you can buy at the store. It’s coated in something to prevent it from sticking together, and that something will make the cheese in this dish congeal. It will still taste ok, but it won’t be nearly as creamy and pretty to look at as it would be with the hand-shredded cheese.
- Oaxaca cheese can typically be found in the Mexican section of your local grocery store.